The Columbia Chronicle

Creed singer talks solo tour, reminisces on career

Creed vocalist Scott Stapp will perform solo at the House of Blues, 329 N. Dearborn St., Dec. 6.

By Arts & Culture Reporter

November 28, 2016

Radio listeners may remember Grammy-winning rock band Creed for its late ‘90s and early 2000s hits including “My Sacrifice,” “With Arms Wide Open” and “Higher.” After the success of the 1999...

Presidential Endorsement: Clinton can actually make America great

Presidential Endorsement: Clinton can actually make America great

November 7, 2016

With 94 percent of staff in agreement, The Chronicle is proud to endorse Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton for the next president of the United States. The remaining 6 percent chose not ...

The college is scheduled to launch its new look and message  on Sept. 19, which was designed by Ologie, a consulting company based  in Columbus, Ohio.  

College’s branding campaign debuts to mixed reviews

September 19, 2016

After a year of working on a rebranding and advertising campaign to increase enrollment and local and national brand awareness, the college is ready to roll out its final product.The rebranding campai...

Major wireless providers T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon and Sprint will soon provide 4G wireless coverage to Red and Blue Line stations as part of a $32.5 million deal.

Wireless companies front bill for 4G upgrade

February 9, 2015

Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced in a Jan. 30 press release an unprecedented deal between four major wireless competitors—T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon and Sprint—and the City of Chicago to fund a $32.5...

Police Profiling: Transgender People

City Council approves new police profiling ordinance

January 26, 2015

The Chicago City Council voted Jan. 21 to expand Chicago’s preexisting ban on police profiling to include “gender identity” and “national origin,” a move aimed at protecting the city’s tra...

Force of football: Sting of postseason loss last fall is motivation for success this year

By Lindsey Woods

April 30, 2012

It is hard to forget the sting of a poignant loss, especially a season-ending one. Athletes have been known to either dwell on these moments or use them as motivation to never feel that kind of devastation again.The Chicago Force, the city’s women’s tackle football team, is choosing the latter.During the 2011–2012 season, the Force completed an undefeated regular season only to have its national championship dreams ...

Creators of Grindr launch an app for everyone

By Brian Dukerschein

October 10, 2011

Feeling lonely? There’s an app for that.The creators of Grindr, a popular location-based mobile social network for gay and bisexual men, have launched Blendr, a version for all genders and sexual orientations.The free app, which is available for Apple mobile devices and Facebook, allows users to view profiles of those in close proximity and possibly make a connection based on mutual interests.“As we go about our daily...

Immigrant status under fire

By Darryl Holliday

March 14, 2011

Legislation currently working its way through the Illinois General Assembly is heating up debate over the state’s approach to immigration.The Taxpayers Protection Act, introduced by Republican Representative Randy Ramey Jr., 55th District, on Feb. 17, would compel law enforcement to determine the immigration status of individuals when any lawful stop, detention or arrest is made. It would also penalize employers who employ u...

Immigrant teens left adrift

By Darryl Holliday

September 27, 2010

Arianna Salgado wants to be a social worker when she graduates high school because she’s always wanted to be involved with the community.Actually, she’s not sure if social work is the exact field she wants to go into, but at age 17, she has time to planher future.Soon Salgado will graduate from Forest Park’s Proviso Math and Science Academy, but unlike her peers, her options for college are far more limited. Having been brought to this country from Mexico when she was 6, Salgado is not a U.S. citizen and is t...

We've got you covered